Before I decided to give up all animal products, most of my mornings would consist of eggs. I never thought there would be a day I’d stop eating them. I also had never cooked with tofu before, but now tofu scramble is definitely my favorite breakfast dish. And yeah yeah, I know tofu gets a bad rep, but don’t knock it till you try it!
Of course it won’t taste exactly like scrambled eggs, but it’s pretty darn close and a game changing alternative for a delicious savory breakfast. Plus, it’s cruelty and cholesterol free! It’s such a simple swap no matter how you make your scrambled eggs and I’m excited to share my recipe that has my friends and family hooked. Let’s get right into it.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Extra firm tofu — I typically use about ¼ of a block for one serving.
- Turmeric- gives it that nice yellow color and is also anti-inflammatory which is always a huge plus.
- Pepper- fun fact: black pepper increases the bioavailability of turmeric, woo!
- Salt and garlic powder — duh.
- Onion powder, paprika, ground mustard, whatever else your heart desires.
- Olive oil (optional — if oil free use water or a vegetable stock)
- Veggies — red onion, bell pepper, tomato, spinach (optional)
- Hummus or dairy free cheese or nutritional yeast (optional)
- Plant based milk (optional)
Here’s how to prep:
- Dice the tofu and then use a fork to crumble it up.
- If you’re adding veggies, dice the onion and peppers and I usually use cherry tomatoes and halve or quarter them.
- Get out all the rest of your desired ingredients and spices!
Here’s how to cook:
- Sauté the onion and peppers and tomatoes first in oil/water/stock
→ I personally don’t sauté for long, 2–3 minutes because I enjoy my veggies being more on the raw side but to each their own!
- Add the spinach to the veggies
→ I sprinkle a little water over the spinach and let the leaves wilt
- Add the tofu on top of all the veggies
- Throw on your spices
→ Honestly I don’t believe in measuring spices, put as much or as little as you feel is necessary and taste test!
- Add an unflavored, unsweetened plant based milk — just a splash
→ This is not necessary, I do this to make the tofu a little more moist. You can also add water instead of milk.
- Mix it all up so the spices and milk/water are distributed evenly
→ Now you can add a dairy free cheese or if you want to be on the healthier side, hummus and nutritional yeast also work great.
→ Nutritional yeast tastes way better than it sounds with a cheesy/nutty flavor and high in protein and typically fortified with B12!
- Once the cheese has melted or the hummus has been mixed throughout — you’re all set!
Add your tofu scramble over toast or avocado toast, add some hot sauce or ketchup, go crazy!
If you liked this article, I think we have something you’ll love…
We’re launching a new social cooking app soon (shhhh), and would love for you to be part of our beta community. Check out our website to sign up for exclusive early access!